Sunday, June 26, 2011

Paris: A RARE vintage Travel Diary. Day Two

In 1970 La Musée des Arts Decoratifs had a show of automobiles dedicated to speed.  Speed is also the theme in Ralph Lauren's astounding collection of cars.  Form and function.  Style and substance (which is always an underlying theme at RARE vintage).  Yesterday it was a great treat to see seventeen of Ralph Lauren's cars from his collection in the magnificently restored Musé des Arts Decoratifs.

"Collecting is always done by someone obsessed."  Ralph Lauren

Sound familiar RARE vintage blog readers?? ☺  Obsessed?  Who me?  Who?   You?  I won't mention names, but you know who you are.  But we are in good company.  Like Ralph Lauren, we take in beautiful and rare examples of fashion and sometimes we need to restore them, like Ralph Lauren did to his  Alfa Romeo 8C from 1938.  A two year restoration.  Everything done perfectly.  The car went on to win at Pebble Beach.  I think, perhaps, my favorite car was the Jaguar XXK from 1958.  My husband said Steve McQueen had the same car.  Now, that is what I would call two hotties and that is hot enough for lil' ol' me.

Steve McQueen with horse and horsepower.

"Sell it because it is hot and uncomfortable."

My husband's grandfather had a Mercedes Benz Gullwing 300SL similar to the one Ralph Lauren owns and was on display.   His wife made him sell it because it was hot and uncomfortable.  (Cue: smacking sound on forehead.)

1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SL from the Art of the Automobile.

The Art of the Automobile:  Masterpieces from the Ralph Lauren Collection
Musés des Arts Decoratifs
28 April- 28 August, 2011


In the afternoon I made a usual pilgrimage to Colette on Rue Saint-Honoré.  There were many, many pilgrims there.   And the collection, as always, was cutting edge, interesting, entertaining and there was temptation everywhere you looked.  I opted for a few things: a bracelet by Gaia Repossi, a Maison Michel gold, feathered hair comb and hair pins by Odile Gilbert.  The Gaia Repossi bracelet was made by women in Rwanda from organic banana and bamboo leaves.  They are left untreated to avoid the use of harmful chemicals.  The golden finishing touches are done at Gaia Repossi's studio in Paris.  


Gaia Repossi 
Kagengo jewelry
all proceeds go to the charity Kagengo Worldwide
exclusively at Colette


For the past few months, I have noticed in magazines that every time I fall in love with a pair of shoes they are always by Gianvito Rossi.  Barneys sells a few pairs but a very limited selection.  I knew I had to see the full collection.  The store is on a little side street, not far from a very! expensive vintage store.  (I found the prices to be completely fou!  and makes RARE vintage seem like a bargain - you know we are not the most inexpensive -TLC asks for a higher price.)  The shoes at Gianvito Rossi are cool, classic, modern and keepers.  You will wear them forever.  You know, the kind of shoe you like so much, you keep having it resoled.   I have not decided yet which I will buy... but I am very tempted by the white patent pump (don't ask me why, but I feel like it is the shoe that will go with everything) and a stiletto in black suede and plexiglass.  Very wicked, very sexy.  Then there were a pair of canvas buckled boots... well, I could go on and on...  Good thing they are all on sale.



Rue Mont Thabor, 40

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails